HP Compaq Presario F761US Laptop
Now Just $599
HP Compaq Presario F761US Laptop Technical Details
- Affordable, reliable business notebook with 64-bit 1.9 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 processor
- 160 GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM (3 GB max), LightScribe dual-layer DVD drive
- 54g Wi-Fi LAN (802.11b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Nvidia GeForce 7000M video card with 287 MB of total available video memory
- Connectivity: 3 USB, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, 1 headphone, 1 microphone, 5-in-1 memory card reader
- Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
HP Compaq Presario F761US DescriptionAmazon.com Product Description
Nicely affordable and easily mobile, the HP Compaq Presario F761US notebook PC will keep you productive wherever you roam thanks to its large, bright 15.4-inch LCD and built-in 54g Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g). It delivers a striking design with a surface resembling matte steel, and whose overall rectilinear shape is repeated in patterns throughout the system--from the cut-out speaker grill to the vents on the bottom casing. From the simple step-by-step setup through easy support tools with preinstalled HP Advisor, this F700 notebook gets you up fast and keeps you running. Watch DVD movies on the full screen using HP DVDPlayâs intuitive media controls, make great movies without the hard work with preinstalled Cyberlink, and edit, store and share photos with Photosmart Essentials.
It's powered by the 64-bit 1.9 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 processor, which allows you to easily run multiple programs without slowing down your productivity. Its 15.4-inch WXGA BrightView display supports High-Definition playback and audio enhanced by built-in Altec Lansing speakers. Digital photo management is made easy with preinstalled HP Photosmart Essentials. Other features include a 160 GB hard drive, 1 GB of installed RAM (3 GB maximum), Nvidia GeForce 7000M graphics/video card with up to 287 MB of shared video memory, a dual-layer DVD±RW writer (with LightScribe disc printing), and a multi-format memory card reader.
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1) includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center. In addition to easily playing your DVD movies and managing your digital audio library, you'll be able to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV). Vista also integrates new search tools throughout the operating system, includes new parental control features, and offers new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures.
- Processor: The 1.9 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 processor offers a dual-core architecture, which delivers additional computing resources to help expand your PCâs capabilities by providing higher throughput and simultaneous computing--increasing your performance by up to 80 percent. You'll be able to perform multiple tasks such as digital rendering and gaming all while running virus scan or other background tasks seamlessly thanks to the innovative Direct Connect Architecture. And it's designed to handle simultaneous 32- and 64-bit computing with no degradation in performance. You'll enjoy long battery life thanks to the AMD PowerNow! power management technology, which delivers performance on demand and can extend system battery life up to 65 percent. And the AMD Digital Media XPress technology delivers stellar multimedia performance and playback on digital entertainment such as games, streaming video and audio, DVDs, and music.
Each processing core has a 256 KB L2 cache (for a 512 KB total), and this processor can deliver up to a 1600 MHz system bus for lightning quick computing reflexes. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
- Hard Drive: The 160 GB hard drive (5400 RPM) offers enough to room to hold a digital audio library of over 26,000 songs and still have room left over for movies, games, and a large collection of software. This Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
- Memory: The 1 GB of installed RAM (1 x 512 MB DDR2) is a good start, but you'll want to add more RAM to handle today's demanding multimedia and productivity suites. It provides two DIMM slots and has a 3 GB maximum RAM capacity. To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 4x DVD-R DL Write Once, 2.4x DVD+R DL Write Once, 8x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, and 40x CD-ROM speeds.
This LightScribe DVD±RW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a full-sized 101-key keyboard and touchpad with four-way scroll zone on/off button and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad.
The 15.4-inch WXGA high-definition display provides razor-sharp graphics and plenty of room for your widescreen movies, thanks to its 1280 x 800-pixel resolution. Video is powered by the integrated Nvidia GeForce 7000M graphics/video card, which provides up to 287 MB of total available video memory. It features NVidia's PureVideo technology--which provides great picture clarity, smooth video, accurate color, and precise image scaling for video content--and full support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0 for stunningly realistic cinematic effects for all DirectX-compatible applications. The built-in Altec Lansing speakers provide exceptional sound.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
This notebook has an integrated 54g wireless LAN that's fully compatible with 802.11b/g wireless networks. You get a very basic offering of connectivity options:
- 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- Video out: 1 VGA monitor port and 1 S-Video port (for connecting to a TV or projector)
- 1 headphone jack and 1 microphone jack
- RJ-45 port for 10/100 Ethernet connection
- 56K modem port (V.90)
- 5-in-1 memory card reader, compatible with Secure Digital (SD), MultiMedia (MMC), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, and XD Picture Cards
Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Includes Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial), Muvee Autoproducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite, PC Recovery, HP PhotoSmart Essentials, and Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008 (with 60 days of Live Update).
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 14.06 x 10.12 x 1.55 inches (WxDxH) and weighs 5.68 pounds.
It's powered by a 6-cell lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which provides between 1.5 and 2 hours of battery life (depending on usage).
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP Compaq Presario F761US notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 30 days from date of purchase.
Compaq Presario F700 Series is an affordable notebook with a neat design and powerful performance. Mobile computing brings more flexibility and convenience to use this PC on the move, whenever and wherever.
See all Product Description
The Best Laptop For Me, August 3, 2008
By Miz Ellen "all the letters of my real name" (Bovine Universe) - My model number is a little different (F767NR) but the specs match and my model may differ only in that I bought it from a bricks and mortar store near my office. Instead of Intel, mine is outfitted with AMD Turion64. The store cleaned up most of the advertising and set it up for me. HP Compaq Presario F761US Laptop may improve the performance. I had someone to take it to when I needed to ask a question.
I wanted a laptop because I write and I hate being tied to a desk. I didn't need huge capacity but I wanted MS Word because that is compatible with most of my document files. I needed to make the jump to the hated Vista...what was wrong with XP?
Except for hating what Microsoft has changed in the MSWord interface, I'm very happy with the computer. It weighs less than six pounds and fits in a laptop case I already had. It's sleek. The screen is big enough to read easily. It boots up reasonably fast and is extremely responsive.
I really like the keyboard. The keys on the keyboard operate quietly but have a nice sensation of "travel" when you hit them. The delete key is in the extreme upper right hand corner making the CTRL ALT DELETE dance rather awkward if you are balancing the computer on your knees on the Metrolink, but I can adjust.
The battery seems adequate, but I have not really tested HP Compaq Presario F761US yet. I have been able to transfer files, set my personal templates and have even started a new creative project. Normally it is months before I feel comfortable with a new computer to "trust" it this way.
I admit to enjoying the pre-loaded games package. It seems very complete and all my favorites including Mahjong, Freecell, Spider Solitaire and other time-wasting favorites are available while I am thinking what to write next.
A Nice Low Cost Laptop, April 29, 2008
By Scott Alexander (Berkeley, CA USA) -
I like my Presario f761us. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB using two 2GB chips. The weakest thing about it is the graphics card as you can see from the performance rating below.
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 4.7
Performance Rating determined by lowest subscore = 3.0
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB - Performance Rating = 5.8
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M - Performance Rating = 3.3
Gaming graphics 1071 MB Total available graphics memory - Performance Rating = 3.0
Primary hard disk (138GB Total) - Performance Rating = 4.9
Nice little laptop for the price, but..., June 4, 2008
By thecrwth "thecrwth" (Mass) - For the price you get plenty of ram hard drive space. Performance is decent. Haven't notices any regular processing delays.
1) comes with Vista. You need to really adjust the settings to get it optimal. It tries to install windows updates when you shut down. When I shut down, I want my computer to shut, and I can slap the lid shut. The default setting means I cannot close my lid, as that suspends the system.
2) sound is weak, sometimes I need to have all audio setting on full, and it is still very low. I have since discovered this a known issue with Vista and the sound card and can be fixed by reloading the driver. However, a known issue should be addressed before the laptop reaches the consumer, or the consumer should be alerted.
4)Bloatware. They pre-install tons of useless software, mostly demos. Some of the HP software can only be installed via the registry.
5) Customer service consists of people who are rude and do not speak English.
I would have given this a five rating, except the pre-installed software and lack of help from customer supprt to remove it. These are two things HP could easily fix, but laziness and incompetence make these a bigger issue for me, especially since some of the bloatware I never use has gotten infected.